100,000 fans expected for NRL opening weekend triple-header
04 Dec 2013
THE 2014 NRL season will feature a spectacular opening weekend triple-header at ANZ Stadium, with the South Sydney Rabbitohs, Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs and St George Illawarra Dragons all hosting home games.
The season will come alive with the Rabbitohs up against arch-rivals and reigning premiers the Sydney Roosters on Thursday 6 March. The last time these two teams met, a record NRL crowd of 59,708 fans packed ANZ Stadium in September as the Roosters took the 2013 Minor Premiership.
The Thursday night blockbuster will be followed by a Friday night classic on 7 March with the Bulldogs taking on the Brisbane Broncos – the Broncos’ new recruit Ben Barba up against his former club in Round 1.
On Sunday afternoon 9 March (4pm kickoff) the Stadium’s two new tenants, the Dragons and Wests Tigers, clash with Members from both clubs able to access the game via their reciprocal rights membership.
The opening weekend triple-header is one of a number of highlights in the official NRL draw released Wednesday 4 December. Only the first 20 rounds have been announced at this stage.
Other NRL draw highlights include:
- 13 Sydney v Sydney blockbusters featuring reciprocal rights to Members of the five clubs that will play home games at ANZ Stadium in 2014;
- The return of Sunday rugby league to Sydney’s sporting headquarters, with six Sunday afternoon games scheduled at ANZ Stadium through to Round 20;
- The Rabbitohs and the Bulldogs shape up for the traditional Good Friday clash in Round 7 on 18 April, with an Easter Monday classic featuring the Eels at home against the Tigers on 21 April;
- The Dragons will host the Bulldogs in a Round 9 Mother’s Day blockbuster on Sunday 11 May;
- The Tigers play the other four home clubs (Bulldogs, Rabbitohs, Eels, Dragons) at ANZ Stadium home and away – further illustrating the value of their membership that incorporates reciprocal rights access to these eight fixtures;
- The first of Wests Tigers’ four home games at ANZ Stadium is against the Rabbitohs in Round 3 on Friday 21 March;
- The Tigers will also have two Sunday afternoon games in July – the first against the Bulldogs on 20 July and then against the Dragons on 27 July;
- The Rabbitohs will host the Dragons on Monday 2 June – a game that coincides with the International Rotary Conference in Sydney Olympic Park, meaning rugby league and ANZ Stadium will be showcased to the world.
Of course ANZ Stadium Members get a guaranteed premium seat at every NRL game at ANZ Stadium, as well as all other sporting fixtures in 2014.
To become an ANZ Stadium Member and watch all the sport that you handle plus VIP benefits, click here.
Take your NRL experience to a new level by taking in all the action from the comfort of your own Private Suite, Zone Box or CentreLine Seat. Click here to explore your corporate hospitality options.
All NRL games scheduled for ANZ Stadium are included in the Stadium’s exciting 2014 Event Calendar, which will officially be launched next week when further major sporting and entertainment events are confirmed.