SYDNEY METRO WEST RAILWAY A GAME CHANGER FOR STADIUM EVENT GOERS
14 Nov 2016
- Premier Mike Baird and Transport Minister Andrew Constance announce a new underground metro railway between Sydney and Parramatta with a stop at Sydney Olympic Park;
- Sydney Metro West to provide frequent direct services to Olympic Park, double capacity of trains and dramatically cut travelling time;
- The transport revolution will complement the redevelopment of ANZ Stadium as a world-class rectangular Stadium.
Direct trains, double the capacity, half the time . . . an artist's impression of the Sydney Olympic Park Station on the new Sydney Metro West rail line.
See the Sydney Metro West Project overview video here.
A NEW Sydney Metro West railway will provide game-changing public transport access for the millions of fans who attend events at Sydney Olympic Park each year, ANZ Stadium CEO, Mr Daryl Kerry, said today.
Mr Kerry, who is also President of the Sydney Olympic Park Business Association, congratulated the Baird Government on announcing another major infrastructure project that will supercharge Greater Western Sydney.
Mr Kerry said a new underground metro railway between Sydney and Parramatta via Sydney Olympic Park would not only provide a modern transport solution for growing communities in Greater Western Sydney but would transform the event experience at ANZ Stadium and other venues in Sydney Olympic Park.
“A metro rail line in Western Sydney has the potential to transform the way fans get to and from major events at Sydney Olympic Park, which is at the geographical heart of booming global Sydney,” Mr Kerry said.
“We are very fortunate to have a Government in NSW that recognises the importance of world-class infrastructure projects and which is getting on with the job.
“By providing a direct and fast metro rail service between Sydney’s two CBDs (Sydney city and Parramatta) via Sydney Olympic Park, fans will in the future be able to get to and from events at ANZ Stadium faster and easier than ever before.
“Combined with the WestConnex Motorway Project and the Western Sydney Light Rail Project, a Sydney Metro West rail service has the potential to revolutionise the transport experience for event goers, workers and residents in and around Sydney Olympic Park.”
Mr Kerry said the transport revolution would complement the announced redevelopment of ANZ Stadium into a world-class rectangular stadium, plus the 2030 Sydney Olympic Park Master Plan that will bring exciting new commercial and residential developments to the precinct.
Premier Mike Baird and Minister for Transport and Infrastructure Minister Andrew Constance were at Sydney Olympic Park today to announce the new underground metro railway for Greater Western Sydney as the State’s next major public transport project – securing the long-term future of the region.
Sydney Metro West will provide a direct connection between the CBDs of Parramatta and Sydney, serving growing communities along the route and a booming region for generations to come.
The NSW Government will work with the community and industry to deliver the project, including new railway stations at:
- Parramatta, where the number of jobs is expected to double over the next 20 years to 100,000;
- Sydney Olympic Park, where 34,000 jobs and more than 23,000 residents will be located by 2030;
- The Bays Precinct, Sydney’s new innovation hub where 95 hectares of land is being regenerated;
- Sydney CBD, allowing easy access to the existing public transport network and Stages 1 and 2 of Sydney Metro, which is currently under construction.