BLOCKBUSTER SWANS V GIANTS AFL QUALIFYING FINAL CONFIRMED FOR ANZ STADIUM
29 Aug 2016
- AFL confirms Sydney Swans v GWS Giants Qualifying Final will be played at ANZ Stadium, Sydney Olympic Park, on Saturday 10 September;
- Gates open at 1.30pm with First Bounce at 3.20pm;
- Historic first all-Sydney Final looms as the biggest AFL Footy match ever witnessed in NSW;
- The blockbuster Final will be a fitting farewell for AFL footy from Sydney’s Olympic stadium, which is to be redeveloped as a world-class rectangular venue as the major part of the NSW Government’s $1.6 billion investment in Sydney sporting infrastructure;
- Booking window for ANZ Stadium Members opens 9am Tuesday 30 August. Members will also have the opportunity to access any other scheduled Sydney Swans Finals at the SCG in 2016.
IT’S the Sydney Swans versus the Greater Western Sydney Giants in a classic all-Sydney AFL Final that has the potential to be one of the biggest AFL footy games ever witnessed in NSW.
The AFL has confirmed that the Week 1 Qualifying Final between cross-city rivals the Swans and Giants will be staged at ANZ Stadium on Saturday 10 September. Gates will open at 1.30pm with First Bounce at 3.20pm.
Members and supporters will have the opportunity to cheer, cheer the Red and the White of minor premiers the Sydney Swans or get behind the Orange juggernaut that is the GWS Giants.
The battle of the fierce cross-city rivals in their historic first AFL Final match-up is being billed as the biggest game in the history of the code in NSW.
It will also be a fitting farewell for AFL footy at ANZ Stadium, which will soon be redeveloped as a world-class rectangular stadium under the NSW Government’s announced $1.6 billion investment in Sydney sporting infrastructure.
Tickets on sale to ANZ Stadium Members at 9am Tuesday 30 August.
Tickets on sale to General Public at 12 Noon Wednesday. Stay tuned for details.
If the Sydney Swans win their Week 1 Qualifying Final, they will progress to a Week 3 Preliminary Final at the SCG. Should they lose, they will host a Week 2 Semi-Final at the SCG.
ANZ Stadium Gold Members will be entitled to attend this Week 2 or Week 3 Final involving the Sydney Swans as part of their Membership.
If the GWS Giants win their Week 1 Qualifying Final, they will progress to a Week 3 Preliminary Final. Should they lose, they will host a Week 2 Semi-Final at Spotless Stadium.
More than 2 million fans have attended 54 Sydney Swans games at Sydney’s Olympic stadium, which have included 10 Finals matches – eight of which the Swans have won.
The Greater Western Sydney Giants have played three times at ANZ Stadium and, of course, are based at Sydney Olympic Park.
It’s merely a kick or two from the gates of Spotless Stadium to the gates of ANZ Stadium across Olympic Boulevarde – and the Giants’ headquarters is located in Sydney Olympic Park.
Impress and indulge your clients with ANZ Stadium's Official Hospitality packages. Choose between a Private Suite, Zone box or a table of 10 in our Trophy Room to entertain your best clients. Enquiries here.
SYDNEY SWANS AT ANZ STADIUM
- 54 matches: 32 wins, 22 losses
- 10 finals: 8 wins, 2 losses
- First game: Round 9, 2002 v Essendon
- Highest attendance: 72,393. Round 21, 2003 v Collingwood (*Record AFL attendance outside Victoria)
- Total attendance: 2,221,475
- Most games played: 49 (Adam Goodes)
- Most goals kicked: 87 (Barry Hall)
GWS GIANTS AT ANZ STADIUM
- 3 matches: 0 wins, 3 losses
- First game: Round 1, 2012 v Sydney Swans
- Highest attendance: 38,203. Rd 1, 2012 v Sydney Swans
- Total attendance: 84,458
- Most goals: Jonathan Giles (3)